Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I have arrived!

Wow, it's been over a month since my last post. I suppose there hasn't been any news. Anyways, I'm here! I arrived in Orlando Monday night. The last couple weeks have been difficult, saying goodbye at whatnot, but I'm here now. My Dad and I drove to Spokane WA Sunday night and stayed at a hotel near the airport. It took us about 45 minutes to get through the border with my Visa, but there were no issues. In the morning, we caught our plane to Las Vegas, where we had a very short layover before boarding our flight to Orlando. Let me tell you now: Southwest is not a good airline for long flights. They are small planes and they don't have TV screens. Anyways, once we got off the plane we got our rental car and headed out. That humidity though. Oh my goodness, it hits you the moment you step outside. Something I'll have to get used to I suppose. Thanks to Google Maps, we found our hotel easily enough, but had to pay 3 tolls, much to my Father's chagrin. After checking in we headed to Downtown Disney. There weren't many restaurants available at 9:30 at night for some reason, but we got a table at Paradiso 37. The main draw there is the pretty rainbow bar centrepiece, but as I am not 21 until January, I can't drink, but feasted on fish tacos and corn dog bites and it was all good.
My Dad in front of the rainbow bar

After a perusal through the World of Disney store (where I'm sure I will spend a chunk of my pay check)  and Basin (my new Lush), it was time to head back to the hotel and go to sleep.

The next day was check in day. My check-in time wasn't until noon, so my Dad and I managed to get a reservation at the Grand Floridian's (my favourite resort on property) 1900 Park Fare. 1900 Park Fare is a breakfast buffet and character breakfast, so as you can imagine, I had a good time there. 
 Me and Pooh Bear at 1900 Park Fare
Mickey Waffle!

The characters present were Pooh Bear, Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter. A decent assortment I would say. The food was also decent. The buffet included Mickey Waffles, which are my favourite. The highlight of our meal was the orange-papaya juice, which our waitress graciously refilled consistently. The Grand Floridian itself is beautiful, and I can't wait to explore more.
Lobby of Grand Floridian

After breakfast, we drove over to Vista Way to get my housing assignment. There were only about 7 other people there with me. We basically received our assignments, got our ID cards, and were set free. Myself and 3 others were driven to our complexes, my Dad following behind with my luggage. Fortunately, I received my first choice of housing, a two bedroom in The Commons. In Disney, you can't possibly have a room to yourself, so there are two people in each bedroom. It seems as though most people didn't get what they wanted, so myself and my roommates are very lucky. My roommates were selected before hand (we found each other on Facebook), so perhaps that is how we got what we wanted. Anyways, I was the first to arrive. The apartment is quite nice, but very dirty. You would think they would hire a maid service after they let people move out, but obviously not. Sarah, one of my roommates arrived shortly after me, and my Dad took both of us to Wal-Mart. 3 hours. 3 hours we spent in Wal-Mart buying stuff. I don't think people would believe it, but it was at least 3 hours, buying everything from a toaster, to bedding, to food. It was exhausting and I never want to do it again. We also went to Best Buy afterwards to get a router to have Wi-Fi in our apartment. The little Nissan Versus we rented was completely packed with bags. We could never have done it on the bus. It took 3 trips to the car to get all of our stuff in the apartment, and much more time to un-pack it all. As it was 8:30 at this point, my Dad took us to Olive Garden for dinner. After dinner, he brought us back home, and we said goodbye. Our 3rd roommate had arrived at this point, and our 4th arrived shortly after. We were all exhausted from the day and went to bed.

This morning we had an Immigration Meeting at the Commons Clubhouse. A lot of our stuff is taking place there, which is nice because we don't have to bus. They just talked to us about our Visa and our role here in the U.S.A.  Sarah and I just spent a good amount of time cleaning the apartment, so it looks a lot better than it did. We have another welcome meeting tonight. Tomorrow is more meetings, then we get Friday off. Saturday is Traditions, where we will learn about Disney and become official Cast Members. It's been an exhausting day and a half in Orlando, but I think good things are to come. Talk to you later! 



No comments:

Post a Comment